Lorraine Berlund Polin
- Of Counsel
Lorraine Polin is Of Counsel to FKSFPC and focuses her practice on the defense and trial of medical malpractice and professional negligence matters involving physicians, dentists and oral surgeons, nurses, hospitals and allied health professionals. She has tried numerous cases to verdict in state and federal actions. She has also successfully defended at trial matters involving premises liability, products liability and general negligence. Ms. Polin represents physicians in investigation matters before the New York State Office of Professional Medical Conduct and clients facing charges by the Office of Professional Discipline.
Ms. Polin lectures to professional organizations regarding medical malpractice defense strategies and was an adjunct professor at Stony Brook University, Department of Preventive Medicine, teaching Medical Ethics. Ms. Polin's previous non-legal experience included supervisory and clinical critical care during her 15-year nursing career at major metropolitan teaching hospitals in New York and in California. She first earned a Diploma in Nursing in 1972 and then a Bachelor of Science in 1984, studying part-time during her full-time employment as an R.N. In 1985, she was awarded a scholarship as a Dean's Merit Scholar and became a full-time student at Brooklyn Law School. Ms. Polin joined the firm after graduation in 1988, became a partner in 1996 and a member of the firm in 2011.
Ms. Polin was named a Super Lawyer in 2017, 2018 and 2019. This distinction is reserved for the top 5% of attorneys in the field and is the culmination of a highly selective nomination and screening process.
Areas Of Practice
- Medical Malpractice Defense 90%
- Professional Licensure and Discipline 5%
- General Liability Defense 5%
- New York, 1988
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1989
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1989
- Brooklyn Law School, Brooklyn, New York
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence - 1988
- Honors: Dean's Merit Scholar
- University of the State of New York, Albany, New York
- B.S.N., Bachelor of Science in Nursing - 1984
- Adjunct Professor, Medical Ethics, Stony Brook University, Department of Preventive Medicine, 1994
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association, Member, 1989 to Present
- Nassau Suffolk Trial Lawyers Association, Member, 1988 to Present