Alan J. Fumuso is a founding partner of the firm and a senior trial attorney at FKSFPC. Since joining the Firm in 1976, he has had more than 42 years of experience representing physicians, oral surgeons, dentists, hospitals, nursing homes, podiatrists and other health care providers in high exposure medical malpractice litigation.
As a trial attorney, Mr. Fumuso has taken over 100 cases to verdict, achieving successful results across a wide spectrum involving every medical specialty. Many of his defense verdicts have been reported in the New York Law Journal and featured as the "Verdict of the Month" in the New York Jury Verdict Reporter.
He has expertise in representing physicians and oral surgeons in licensure and disciplinary investigations, and at Department of Health Proceedings. He has also represented numerous general liability defendants, including the City of New York in Municipal Liability actions.
Mr. Fumuso has lectured extensively on the subjects of trial advocacy and medical malpractice litigation at various programs sponsored by the New York State Bar Association, the Academies of Law for both the Nassau and Suffolk County Bar Associations, the Nassau-Suffolk Trial Lawyers Association and the New York State Medical Defense Bar Association. He has also presented programs to students at St. John's University School of Law, and for many years was an annual guest lecturer for the Legal Medicine course taught at that school.
He has presented numerous risk management seminars at many Hospitals, Nursing Homes, Medical Societies, Medical Schools, and Insurance Companies. Mr. Fumuso has also been a member of the Editorial Board of Medical Malpractice Law and Strategy, and has been published widely in various legal and medical periodicals on the subject of the Trial Tactics and Techniques. In 2018 he was chosen by the Board at OMS National Insurance Company, at their biannual Defense Counsel Seminar in Chicago, as their National Attorney of the Year.
He has been active in leadership roles for local Bar Associations, serving as Chairman of the Nassau-Suffolk Trial Lawyers Association and as a member of the Judicial Screening Committee of the Suffolk County Bar Association.
Mr. Fumuso has been selected multiple times by his peers as a "New York Super Lawyer", a distinction awarded to only 5% of New York attorneys. He has been listed in the New York Times as one of the Top Attorneys in the New York Area, and has been chosen by the National Board of Jurisprudence as one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers in New York.
Mr. Fumuso has qualified as a Fellow of the American College of Trial Attorneys, the most exclusive Trial Lawyers organization in North America, and will be so inducted at their annual meeting in 2020.
Areas Of Practice
- Medical Malpractice
- Physicians and Podiatrists
- Hospital Litigation
- Oral Surgery and Dental
- Nursing Home Litigation
- General Liability Defense
- Professional Licensure and Discipline
- New York, 1977
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- St. Johns University Law School
- J.D. - 1976
- Queens College, New York, New York
- B.A. - 1973
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association
- Suffolk County Bar Association
- Nassau-Suffolk Trial Lawyers Association
- American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys, Diplomate
- Nassau-Suffolk Trial Lawyers Association, Chairman
- Judicial Screening Committee, Suffolk County Bar Association, Member
- Verdict of the Month, New York Jury Verdict Reporter
- New York Super Lawyer
- Top Attorneys in the New York Area, New York Times
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers in New York, National Board of Jurisprudence
Classes and Seminars
- Lecturer, Trial Advocacy and Medical Malpractice Litigation, New York State Bar Association
- Lecturer, Trial Advocacy and Medical Malpractice Litigation, The Academies of Law for Nassau County Bar Association
- Lecturer, Trial Advocacy and Medical Malpractice Litigation, The Academies of Law for Suffolk County Bar Association
- Lecturer, Trial Advocacy and Medical Malpractice Litigation, Nassau-Suffolk Trial Lawyers Association
- Lecturer, Trial Advocacy and Medical Malpractice Litigation, New York State Medical Defense Bar Association
- Presenter, St. John's University School of Law
- Annual Guest Lecturer, Legal Medicine Course, St. John's University School of Law
- Editorial Board of Medical Malpractice Law and Strategy